Saturday, March 23, 2013

Winter Losses

This past winter has not been colder than others, but it has been cold longer.  A few of my plants, which were marginal for this area, have died.  Here is what I have lost --

Mexican Velvet Sage (which is supposed to survive here)
Jerusalem Sage (which is supposed to survive here)
Coral Agaves which were not in sheltered areas, damage to those which were
newly planted yuccas
yuccas in pots
Iceplant not in sheltered areas
Red Aloe
California Pepper Tree (weakened by borers)
Crested Eve's Needle Opuntia

I will replace the Mexican Velvet Sage and Jerusalem Sage and treat them as annuals.  I am also planting Kangaroo Paws which is an annual.  I was trying to avoid annuals in my xeric gardens, but if I want nice flowers, it looks like I need them.

Now Blooming
Flower Garden                                       Xeric Garden
     Daffodils                                                 Bladder Pod
     Wild Tulips (Cyrysantha)                               Desert Marigold
     Lady Banks Rose                                   Desert Verbena
     Cyclamen                                               Desert Dandelion
     fruit trees                                                misc. Ice Plants
     Gopher Plant                                          Texas Mountain Laurel
     California Poppies
     Shamrocks
     Baby Blue Eyes

Now Harvesting
hothouse Bananas
hothouse Tomatoes
Lettuce
Leeks
Asparagus

Now Planting (in hothouse because of rabbits)
Tomatoes
Bell Peppers
Eggplants

No comments:

Post a Comment